Friday, January 11, 2013

Activity Time Lives on

January 4th: 

The girls were trying to put together a floor puzzle in the afternoon and Edison kept pulling pieces off of it, so they decided to quarantine him in the kitchen with these chairs.

Monday, January 7th
It was time to have an activity with just my Eloise. I've said it a million times, but I'll say it again: I love this age of two. It is the best age to start having simple learning activities together. They are little sponges.
This idea came out of my go-to book "The Toddler's Busy Book." I used painter's tape to make shapes on the floor and then I asked her to run or hop to a certain shape. 
 She wasn't really getting it until I started throwing marshmallows to the shape I wanted her to identify. Then she did whatever I asked and showed me that she really did know these shapes pretty well!


More please?

 That night we went over goals for family night. Here they are (drumroll please):

Family goal: Phipps are OBEDIENT. We will be obedient so that we can have the spirit in our hearts and our home. We will improve our prayers and help our children to learn to say their personal prayers morning and night. We will memorize first 6 articles of faith and learn a new Primary song every month. We will apply the scriptures we're reading at bedtime in a monthly Phippsite Nite where we act out Book of Mormon stories. 

Hazel: Learn to read.
Charlotte: Learn to write her name.
Eloise: Learn to ride a bike.

David and I have goals, but they're personal so I won't share them here. I love this family night. We pulled out our goals from last year and we had reached every single one of them! Hazel learned how to do chores (yes, that was her idea) and Charlotte learned how to ride a bike and swim under water. And as a family, we got into the habit of reading our scriptures together every day. We used the same boards this year to write down our new goals.
After family night on Monday, David brought our trampoline home and into our living room. Yep, you heard it right, the living room. It looks a little bigger in our house than it did in Kevin and Vicki's!
So far, it's so worth it.
On Wednesday, we took our Joy School class to our local fire station! It was awesome. The firemen dressed up in their gear to show the kids what they look like if they have to come get us in an emergency. They showed us the fire trucks, talked about fire safety, etc. It was a great experience for the kids.


This was honestly the best pose we could get out of these hungry, wiggly bodies that had the sun in their eyes.
Thursday. Needed some more retail therapy. I'm hoping to adjust to real life after the holidays SOON because it's getting expensive. But this time I went to DI where I feel like I can pretty much afford anything. And I hit the jackpot with this cute candy dish and amazing yellow dishes. Made my day.
And the girls brought their own money they've been saving and found a treasure or two as well. Cheap and fun.
Edison has started signing. His only sign so far is "all done!" He tries to say it as well, but I'm so sure his second word was "thank you." I asked Ellie to say thank you while I was holding Edison and he said it clear as day.
Not the most flattering picture of my third child, but she was dubbed "the puppy" in an imaginary game and so the girls diapered her over her pants and zipped her up in the trampoline (her cage).
She later bowed out and came over to help me feed Edison.
So Hazel took over as the puppy and diapered herself.
Motherhood may be the hardest thing I've ever done, but I am always entertained.
This brave little woman trekked out into the snow to check for eggs. Our poor hens have stopped laying since the temperature has dropped.
My reality.
But you can see that we've been learning our letters...


On Friday, we had a fresh new layer of snow that we had to play in. We got all dressed up and ready to build a snow man. Later we decided to make an ice castle instead.




I think of A Christmas Story every time.
And I was anxious to get out our invitations for Charlotte's birthday party next Saturday, so I drove around on the snowy roads with the girls, delivering these little sucker princesses.


Eloise can do this with both hands and give me a double "I love you."

0 comments: