Monday, September 15, 2008

This one's for David

Last night I suddenly got into one of the worst moods I've been in in a long time. Whenever that happens, I start thinking about all of the bad things in my life which become increasingly exaggerated, my emotions start to spill over, and I become a huge wreck. So, this occurred around 9:30 pm, right as David decided to go to bed, nice and early, to get a good night's rest since he didn't sleep well the night before. Well, that meant that I was depressed and LONELY, which made for an even more dangerous combination. What did I do? I decided to suck my husband into my grief and not let him sleep.

Our conversation in bed went something like this:

David: (starting to snore)
Janelle: Are you sleeping?
David: *snort*...what?
Janelle: Why are you sleeping? It's only 9:30.
David: I didn't sleep well last night.
Janelle: Well I don't think you should go to sleep yet. I'm not tired.
David: Maybe you should read a book.
Janelle: I don't have a book.
David: You don't have a book? You always have a book. (Rolls over, tries to go back to sleep.)

(few minutes pass)

Janelle: Honey, why did we buy this house?
David: (silence)
Janelle: I don't think we're going to make any money off of it.
David: (barely conscience) We'll make money, don't worry.
Janelle: No, I don't think we will. And then we're going to be renting in Ogden. How did this happen to us?
David: (drifting) Everything will work out honey. Go to sleep.

And it just got worse from there until David finally gave up on sleep, sat up and rubbed my back, telling me about all of the good things in our lives until I finally fell asleep.

And so, needless to say, I am the luckiest girl in the world.

Here's a few more things I love about my husband:

1. He always tells me how pretty he thinks I am (and he really means it); even when I first wake up in the morning, four months pregnant and a little ornery.

2. He's an optimist. He never complains when something goes wrong, he just gets quiet and starts thinking of ways to make the situation better.

3. He loves his little daughter(s). When Hazel was born and they had to rush her to the NICU, David stayed by her side through most of the night, just watching her and talking to her. That's the kind of father he is.

4. He's a hard worker. One day he'll make us millions, I know it.

5. He never has BO (how is that possible? He really doesn't).

6. He's usually the only one that can calm Hazel down in the middle of the night. (too bad he can't nurse).

7. He can get along with anyone and make them feel comfortable around him.

8. He loves to play games just as much as I do (and he always wins--I don't love that about him.)

9. He makes incredible pasta sauce and scrabbled eggs--we don't eat them together.

10. He really loves me. Really, really loves me more than I could ever imagine anyone could love me. And that is why he gave up sleep and rubbed my back all night last night.

And for all that, and much much more, I love David Phipps.

Janelle

5 comments:

Ben and Camille said...

Janelle! That is SO cute. You go girl. And you go David. What a cute perfect couple. You guys are great examples and we love you!

Jackie said...

oh my gosh Janelle... we married the same boy (except for the bo part. lucky) I'm happy to know I'm not the only one that gets in those moods :)

J & J said...

david was always the nicest guy, wasn't he? we both married FABULOUS people! i am DYING that you remember "the tickle!" i'm so embarrassed, but whatever, i still do it. and it still works. HA! hey, just to make you feel any better, i get in those moods all the time. you are normal. and so am i.

much love janelle. thanks for all your nice comments. and i love the name madeline.

Loralee said...

I have a strange feeling that Taylor and I have had that same conversation before... and I'm pretty sure it turned out the same way. Those darn boys - it must be something in the water in Africa.

Slovebunny said...

Janelle good husbands are so hard to come by I am so happy you found one. It looks as if you two are going to be together for eternity. Just like our father had planned! Just keep showing David that you do appreciate him every just as much as he loves you. Things will keep working themselves out.