Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ode to Sugar House

There is something magical about this community called Sugar House. Established just six short years after Brigham Young led the pioneers into the valley, this area is filled with history that is still evident in the old houses and small shops. Named after a sugar mill that was never completed, Sugar House is considered to be one of Salt Lake's most desirable communities. I love living in Sugar House for several reasons. Being from a small town in Georgia, I am just now getting used to the fact that here in this area, I can walk everywhere! Even my dentist is within walking range (although for my doctor, I have to take the bus--no big deal).

I am surrounded by quaint and bustling little businesses, all of which have a dog that Hazel can visit with while I shop. I love the Sprague library and its musty smell that reveals its age and history (1928). Thanks to the Old Navy nearby, Hazel has expanded her little wardrobe at an affordable price, and who wouldn't miss having the best little quilt shop, Piper's, just around the corner where I can find trendy fabric for my little projects? Sterling Furniture on 21st and 11th is the last of the three main furniture stores--what Sugar House was known for--that is still in business after 100 years (and has a sale for every occasion). There's Sugar House Park with its variety of geese, ducks, and seagulls, so tame they'll surround you and pressure you for food; a beautiful place where you can exercise with the smell of Sizzler's and KFC looming in the background.

The DI! The deals I've found encountered there midst the smell and the crowd of folks lining the aisles waiting for new arrivals. Tree-lined streets, unique and inviting shops, delicious restaurants, and the comfort of having it all within walking distance. Just this morning I had a craving for a pastry, which happens often, and I decided to go for a walk with Hazel and find this little pastry shop I remembered seeing once. I found a narrow alley that led to the spot, somewhere between 9th and 10th East just north of 21st South. Carol's Pastry: you can smell it before you see it. The older man behind the counter told me they've been around for 30 years as he handed Hazel a freshly baked sugar cookie, still warm, for free. Yes, I do love Sugar House.

So why this sudden wave of gratitude and fascination with where I live? Well, we're moving. We haven't had the chance to tell many people face to face, so I figured I might as well post it and tell those of you that check in on us every once in a while. I apologize to our close friends here in town for not telling you in a more personal way since we won't be sharing streets for long. But we're not going far!

We've known for a while now that we want to move to Ogden where David does commercial real estate, but we weren't sure when it would happen. We recently decided to go ahead and list our house and we feel good about our decision, even though it will be very difficult to leave our wonderful neighborhood, ward family, and close friends here in Sugar House. Living in Ogden will have added benefits for our family since it is not only closer to David's work, but closer to his family whom we visit often. And now when David is convincing businesses to move to Ogden he can tell them from first-hand experience that it is the place to be (we hope!). We are excited for this new adventure, and don't worry, it will be a long process so we'll still be around here for a while I'm sure.

I'll be posting some before and after pictures of our home to show some of the renovations we've completed since moving here in March of 2007. We are still in the middle of finishing our kitchen; we just poured and installed new concrete countertops which I must say look absolutely amazing. David found a picture of what he wanted and somehow, with all of the slight disasters that occurred along the way, he did it! We're now finishing the painting and installing of our cabinets. We are also still planning on installing a new roof this summer, which will be included in our listing price. The pics will be in the next post.

We love all of you that have been part of our lives here in this wonderful town!

Janelle

5 comments:

Alisa said...

wow! this is big news, especially with knowing how much you guys love it there, and with all the work you've put into your cute house!!!

Slovebunny said...

Ah you just made me fall in love with your little town and now you tell me your moving.

Wow what an adventure.
Good luck with listing your house, I know the Lord guides you & David in your decisions so I have no doubt that will be right move.

Juliann said...

Sigh. . . well, it will still be here when you come back. And I bet Sterling Furniture and Carol's Pastry shop will be too. And I have to believe you will be coming back one day and not just to visit, although I also have to believe that you'll come down often to visit. . . that's the only way I can take this news!

katherine said...

oh man, this is bittersweet news. moving closer to david's work, and family will be so great, but you will be missed here in our little piece of heaven!

Janelle said...

Wow! I'm so shocked hearing this news! It does sound like a great decision you made keeping in mind David's career and having family so close. Congrats! I'm anxious to hear about the upcoming move and where you'll settle there. You sure have put a lot of work into that gem of a house you have there, so I'm sure you'll get the payoff soon. I also loved your description of Sugarhouse...it sounds ideal! But you'll love your new home and adventures ahead too. Congrats on your news!
Love you!