Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hazel's 4th Birthday

Hazel is four years old!
I must admit we've been looking forward to this age since some parents have advised us that "four" is better than "three." In some ways, three was a tough year for miss Hazel Jayne. She discovered a lot about her emotions and her ability to throw a tantrum for an extended period of time. I bought most of the parenting books I now possess during this past year because of this little girl. She also became quite the talker and thinker. She has the most interesting questions about life and always keeps me on my feet (I'll never forget her lamentation at a gas station, "I wish I could have a cigarette!). She is so sensitive to others' feelings. She can sense immediately if I'm in a bad mood. Usually, if I've reached my limit with Charlotte and my voice is starting to rise, Hazel jumps in and tries her best to pacify the situation. She also discovered her amazing drawing talents during her third year, becoming a pro at seeing something and copying it onto paper. That's a talent we look forward to cultivating this next year.
We love this little girl.
Photobucket
This was her actual birth DAY. We had yummy homemade waffles with whip cream and bananas.

We went to a playgroup that morning which motivated me to get Ellie all dressed up with a headband (that doesn't happen every day, or most days). But isn't she adorable?
Photobucket

Later, I had the girls dip their hands in paint for a card for Vicki, which made for a cute picture:
Photobucket

And once Dad was finished with work, we changed the girls into their bathing suits to go swimming. We were upstairs with Hazel and left Ellie with Charlotte downstairs for a few minutes (maybe not the best idea) and this is what we found when we came downstairs:

Photobucket
Charlotte was rubbing sunscreen all over Ellie's face.
We can't go swimming without sun screen!

Photobucket
After swimming, we stopped at the store and bought mac n cheese (Hazel's choice with David's prodding) and her favorite flavor of ice cream, rainbow sherbet.
Happy birthday Hazel!

2 comments:

Ben and Camille said...

We love you, Hazel!!

Heidi said...

That last picture makes me want to cry! (probably because I'm overly emotional with #5 due in 3-4 weeks). Babies and toddlers and the messes they constantly make... It's so hard sometimes. And yet so wonderful too!